Monday, April 7, 2008

Find The OB and The Hospital

I never imagined how much work to do to pick an obstetrician and the hospital to have the baby. The reality is there are a lot of due diligence to do.

Like choosing any products or marketing a brand, word-of-mouth is the king. By week 5, we started asking around, friends, colleagues, friends’ friends, friends’ colleagues…Basically, anybody with experience we can reach.

For hospitals, it boils to down to two – Newton Wellesley and Brigham and Women. XJ and I decided to check out the location and neighborhood of the hospitals before we choose an obstetrician because we need to choose an OB who is affiliated to the hospital we want to deliver our baby in. On Saturday, we drove around, checked the routes, traffic, the hospital buildings and parking lots, you know, all kinds of superficial stuff. We still couldn’t make our decisions after the visits. I started to call my friend who had an adorable baby again and during our conversation, the light hit me, why not to use her OB and the hospital she went to. It was that easy. I later checked out her OB background and found that she is overall the most impressive. Brigham and Women’s Hospital is also the best women’s hospital in United States. Why not to take advantage of it since I live so close?!

My conclusion is if you want to make your life easier, follow the choice of your friend who you know well and trust. The reality is, s/he has done all the due diligence as you would do.

4 comments:

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

My kids were born at Newton Wellesley and it was a very good experience. But that was 18 and 16 years ago. boy does time fly.

JJ said...

It's so true that following friend's steps can be so much easier. That's part of the reason we have our circle of friends. One of the advantages living in Boston is the resources we have around hospitals and doctors. I am sure your little XJ&XJ will enjoy the experience on his/her first day in Brigham and Women's.

Libby said...

Thank you Rich for sharing your experience. I heard from my friends that Newton Wellesley is still great. I am a new mom-to-be and new to Boston and still quite new to United States in a lot of ways. So I've got a lot to learn.

Libby said...

Kylie, I just noticed you have a comment for me! :) Thank you! Hurry up, we can be preg buddies.