Monday, June 23, 2008

A Sleeping Posture Solution – My Comfy Prenatal Body Pillow

I never imagined that my years of sleeping habit lying on the stomach will ever pose a potential danger to the baby growing inside of me. I had been tossing around the bed for quite some nights in order to make sure that I sleep on the left side, which as every practitioner tells you, is the best sleeping posture for your baby. Not until I discovered the prenatal body pillow 2 weeks ago had I found my tight sleep and sweet dreams back.

As the pregnancy progress, it got harder and harder for me to sleep my way though nights. Everything I was used to started to bother me: the pillow, the mattress, the person lying beside me. It took longer to fall asleep and easier to wake up during nights, not only for the frequent bathroom visits, but also unknown reasons.

As desperately as I got, I changed my used-to-be-perfect medium firm pillows to extra firm ones. XJ slept on our new extra firm pillow for one night and the first thing he did the next morning was to unpack old pillows. He simply can’t handle the altitude and the hardness of the new one.

While the new pillow gave me several nights’ comfort, I found new issues that bothered me. This time was XJ. Due to our significant weight difference, we had changed our mattress for several times until we found a very firm mattress, so firm that I won’t feel sleep on a slope every night. Well, the trouble came back to me. I started to believe XJ had put on a lot of weight as I felt sleeping on a slope again. Poor XJ, he insisted he weighed the same as before. Time to change to a firmer mattress? But the one we have now is the firmest we could get; also it is so expensive to buy a new mattress. Time to change to a not-so-heavy husband? Hmmm, tempting but seems risky and costly too.

I always feel solutions come to me when I am in trouble. As lucky I got this time, when I was reading the subscribed pregnancy newsletter one day, I discovered there is a thing called maternity body pillow which is supposed to help pregnant women to get better sleep. I can’t wait to show this to XJ and headed to the local store and digged out this baby. It was perfect, not only giving me comfort support, but also making sure I always sleep on my left side, and unexpectedly, it forms a barrage between XJ and me so I don’t feel sleep on a slope any more.

By the way, Happy B-day to father-to-be XJ!

2 comments:

Kylie (Kaili) Jia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kylie (Kaili) Jia said...

I have been "religiously" checking out your blog everyday hoping to read more. Here it comes finally! I loved the humor in your writing. Keep it up!