Saturday, May 23, 2009

“Hairy” Story – Lang’s Got His First Haircut!





Lang was born with little hair, completely opposite to baby me as per my mom. She told me that I had a full head of thick, black and shiny hair when I was born. My parents immediately nicknamed me Black Hair (weird when translated to English) at the birth as they had yet found a perfect name for me. This name, even in Chinese, was actually one of my growing pains. My little buddies always made fun of me because the pronunciation of it sounds similar to a popular cartoon character at the time and that cartoon character was not a good association with a little pretty girl (Yep, I was a very pretty girl!). From my teen to tween days, for some reason I don’t understand now when I look back, I felt somewhat ashamed when my classmates found out I had such a nickname. I had to constantly remind my parents, sisters and brother not to call my nickname in public wherever my classmates were presented. My family still calls me in my nickname now. It actually sounds sweet to me, sweeter and sweeter as time passes. After all, to my parents, the name is their love-at-first-sight to me.

Back to Lang’s hair, they are very thin, soft and in light shades, an obvious gene mutation as both XJ and LXJ have thick black hair. We should have cut Lang’s hair when he was one month old. Traditional wisdom says babies’ hair would grow thicker and darker if infants' hair were shaved. But my mom insisted keeping the hair because she thought Lang looked even cuter in those hairs. I developed the same opinions about Lang’s hair under my mom’s influence. You know what would happen when women reached unanimity. In the meantime, I did want Lang to keep the hair as long as he could because they were carried along from my body. Watching his little hair dangling in the wind was an enormous joy when we brought Lang to parks!














With Memorial Day’s weekend approaching, New England quickly dives into hot summer. The weather is so hot that Lang’s hair is always damped with sweat. After all, it is selfish to trade babies' comfort with adults' eye candy. Mom and I decided to cut Lang’s hair. Imagine the difficulties to give a haircut to a six month old baby. We tried everything we could to only hold him still for a second in order to cut a stream of hair. From the morning to the afternoon, between Lang’s long and short naps, we finally accomplished his first haircut. What a huge project it would be if Lang were like any of us. The insane price tags for professional infants haircuts start to make sense to me.

As anticipated, Lang is as cute wearing skin head as ever, just looks more sharp and masculine! Go little man!!

1 comment:

Old XJ said...

Mommy, not only did you give life to our beloved Langlang, you also gave him priceless memories through these beautiful words and articles that will definitely last forever.