Monday, May 18, 2009

The Power of Body Languages



(Lang 6 months old)

One night these days, Lang sat on my dad’s lap cooing, ahing and goggling happily with my parents. I found some watery stuff on his feet so I asked what’s going on here with a serious face unintentionally. Lang heard me and observed my face for a while. He quickly changed several facial expressions and started to cry, so sad that his little face turned purplish with tears gushing out. I immediately held him and tried to comfort him. But he resisted my hug and turned his head to my parent with a helping needed look…

Obviously, Lang understands body language very well now. Recently, I read an interesting book The Definitive Book Of Body Language by Allan and Barbara Pease. The book mentioned a lot of body languages are inborn. People display body languages unconsciously. Being bale to read a person’s body language will give you an edge in social and business settings. People who are not able to hear or speak are more alert in observing other people’s body languages. Also a baby is much easier to be read than an adult because adults are educated in somewhat degree to cover their body languages from revealing their true thoughts…

At his sixth month old, it is really fun to play body language games with Lang before he can literally speak. Lang is super alert. He tries to get a hold of everything going on around the house. When he is eating or playing, he won’t forget turn his head to any sounds, familiar voices and movements like a wary hound dog. He mirrors a wide smiley face when we smile at him; He bounces when we show up joyfully; He gets intense when we talk in a sharp tone; He cries when we are hush on him unintentionally or purposely (sometimes we are just teasing him to cry in order to see that cute little crying face); He raises his both arms to embrace a hug when we extend two hands to him…

Lang is a real doll!

No comments: